On 9/6/07, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> Hallo!

> > It looks like a misfeature (ie. bug) to me.
> >
> > > But two questions remain:
> > >
> > > 1) I am wondering, how you find such answers. What is your
> > strategie
> > > searching the sources?
> > > 2) What is that existing option 'start' for? Take this as an
> > example
> > > for question 1).
> >
> > As far as I can see, 'start' currently serves no purpose since it
> > gets
> > overridden in line 447 in
> >     \expanded{\setitemparameter{\itemlevel}{\c!start}{1}}%
> > in core-itm.tex anyway. Try to comment out that line.
> >
> > The next problem lies a few lines below:
> >
> >      \doifelsenothing{\getitemparameter\itemlevel\c!start}
> >        {\def\currentitemoffset{1}}
> >
> > {\def\currentitemoffset{\getitemparameter\itemlevel\c!start}%
> >         \letitemparameter\itemlevel\c!start\empty}%
> >
> > You need to say \edef instead of \def, otherwise the empty value
> > will
> > be used for calculating \currentitemoffset.
> >
> > How to search? It's difficult to tell, but in this particular
> > case,
> > you take a look into core-itm.tex (assuming you know where
> > itemizations are. If you don't, you can execute "grep \setupitem *"
> > in
> > tex/context/base/.) Then, you search for \c!start and try to
> > figure
> > out where it is used. You find \setitemlevel. OK, great. What does
> > it
> > do there? It's supposed to change \currentitemoffset. If you want
> > to check \currentitemoffset, you simply place
> >     (my debug: \currentitemoffset)
> > at the end of \setitemlevel. Now, you either need to copy that
> > definition on the top of your document (which will override the
> > global
> > one), or remake the formats with "texexec --make en" before
> > running
> > texexec on your document again. You will get some extra info on top
> > of your itemization. It doesn't belong there, but you will remove it
> > afterwards. (Did I forget to say that it might be wise to make a
> > bacup
> > of the original file?) Now when you remade the formats (or placed
> > the
> > definition on top of your file or to cont-new.tex) and compiled
> > the
> > document again, take a look at the result.
> >
> > Oh, well, you only get (my debug: ). \currentitemoffset seems to
> > be empty.
>
> If I change the above /def to /edef I get (my debug: 1), but as a
> sideeffect the counter is incremented and therefor is starting with 2
> then.

Yes, that's true.

> > Then try to put
> >      (I wanted to have: \getitemparameter\itemlevel\c!start)
> > somewhere at the beginning of \setitemlevel, somewhere inbetween
> > (after \expandex{...}) and somewhere at the end. It works at the
> > beginning, then it gets reset to 1, and then it gets deleted.
> >  And they you try to figure out why.
>
> \letitemparameter\itemlevel\c!start\empty}
>
> commenting this line has too the above sideeffect that counting is
> started with 2.

Yes, the whole definition should be changed. I only pointed you to the
problematic places, but there is some minor pitfall left. And I don't
dare to touch anything since itemization definitions seem a bit
complex to me.

> But I don't understand the whole thing.
>
> If I understand you right, the c!start is for increasing the
> itemizelevel NOT the numbering. So I wonder why the later is
> affected.

Perhaps the name doesn't fit best, but it seems to me that
"itemizelevel" in that context increases the numbering, not the level
(I might be wrong).

Mojca