I want interaction at the subsubsection level but not higher. I have turned
off line numbers for section and subsection.   However both these levels
remain interactive. The whole line is blue.  I tried  interaction=pagenumber,
interaction=sectionnumber, interaction=no, interaction=none,  and no
interaction parameter at all at these levels.   Nevertheless the whole entry
remains interactive.

some code:
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuphead[chapter][head=nomarking,number=no]
\setuphead[section][number=no,textcommand=\bf]
\setuphead[subsection][number=no]
\setuphead[subsubsection][number=no]
\setupinteraction[state=start,color=blue]
\setuplist[section][alternative=f,style=bold,interaction=sectionnumber]
\setuplist[subsection][alternative=f,interaction=no]
\setuplist[subsubsection][alternative=a,interaction=all]

The good news is that I found a handy way to bookmark just the index in
Acrobat Reader. I filched some code from an old Han The Thanh file:

\pdfcatalog{/PageMode /UseOutlines}             % bookmark window open
\newcount\marknumber    \marknumber=1
\def\bookmark#1#2{%
        \pdfdest num \marknumber xyz
        \pdfoutline goto num \marknumber count #1 {#2}
        \advance\marknumber by 1}
\bookmark{0}{Index}
\placecontent

The explanation of the format of the \pdfoutline command in the manual wasn't
clear to me but the above macro clears it up.
--
John Culleton