> http://luaforge.net/docman/index.php?group_id=80&selected_doc_group_id=95&language_id=1

  Thanks, I didn't know that. But anyway there's much more to it, since
lua as used in LuaTeX has many external libraries embedded (luazip, Lua
Parsing Expression Grammars, a library for manipulating Unicode strings
etc.); and in addition to that all the special libraries that have been
written by Taco and Hans (chapter 4 of the LuaTeX reference manual).

  So there are actually quite a lot of additional things and I expect
the difference between versions 5.0 and 5.1 of the core language and
libraries to be rather unimportant (at least in that respect).

        Arthur

P-S for Taco: Am I right in saying that the list of additional libraries is:
  • The twelve ones documented in luatexref-t.pdf
  • lfs, luamd5, lpeg, luazip, luazlib and Selene Unicode (as seen in src/libs)?

  That could be a start to write a complete texlua manual ... (here I'm
only interested in the libraries providing new lua functions,
obviously).