Hi to all (Idris, in particular, as we are always dealing with the same problems... ),

I just want to share some thoughts about the ol' damn' problem of converting to ConTeXt from Word et al.

As I told Andrea: For relatively simple documents (like the kind we use in
academic journals) it seems we can now

1) convert doc to odt using OOo
2) convert odt to markdown using

As suggest by Idris, I subscribed to the pandoc list, but I have to say that the activity is not exactly like the one on ConTeXt list... So the actual support for ConTeXt conversion is not convincing. More, it's always better to put the hands on your machine...

My problem is to convert a series of academic journals in ConTeXt. They come form the Humanities so little structure (basically, mainly body and footnotes). Far from me the idea of automatically doing all the stuff, I'd like to be faster and more accurate in conversion. (No particular interest in figures, they are few, not so much in references: they tends to be typographically inconsistent if done
in a WYSISYG environment, so difficult to parse).
More, as the journal has already being published we need to work with final pdfs.

After wasting my time with an awful pdf to html converter by Acrobat, I discovered this, you may all know:
http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

The html conversion is very very good in resulting rendering and also in sources, but after some tweakings I got interested in the xml conversion it allows. The xml format substantially encodes the infos related to page, typically each line is an element. Plus, there are bold and italics marked easily as <b> and <i> I'm still struggling to understand something really operative of XML processing in ConTeXt, so I switched back to Python.
I used an incremental sax parser with some replacement.
This is today's draft.
Original:
http://www.semiotiche.it/andrea/membrana/02%20imp.pdf

Recomposed (no setup at all, only \enableregime[utf]):
http://www.semiotiche.it/andrea/membrana/02imp.pdf

pdf --> pdftoxml --> xml --> python script --> tex --> pdf

I recovered par, bold, em, footnotes, stripping dashes and reassembling the text with footnote references. Not bad as a first step.

I guess that you xml gurus could probably do much easier and cleaner.
So, I mean -just for my very specific needs, I con probably take word sources, convert to pdf and then finally reach ConTeXt as discussed.

Just some ideas to share with the list

Best

-a-

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)