On 11/19/07, Ulrich Wrede wrote:
> I use file=t-lilypond      version=2007.09.02. I think this is the
> latest one.
>
> From the log file:
> system          : module lilypond loaded
> ("C:\Programme\MiKTeX 2.5\tex\context\lilypond\t-lilypond.tex"
> LilyPond is found and loaded I think.
> But this error message is still there
> ! Bad number (18).
> \dodostartlilypond ...lily!figures ]\fi \ifeof 18
>                                                   \expanded
> {\installprogram...
> l.32 \stoplilypond
>
> Perhaps it has something to do with \write 18

Yes, it indeed seems so.

> This comment is written in t-lypond.tex
>
> %D If \type{\ifeof18} creates an error for you, your pdfetex is too old.
> %D just change it to \iftrue then.  (\type{\ifeof18} checks whether
> \type{\write18}
> %D is disabled.)
> %D
> The last changes of my pdfetex  16. November 2007, 11:02:39

pdfeTeX has been replaced by pdfTeX (pdfeTeX is only a symlink). It's
not the file date which matters, but the version (pdfTeX --version).
Wiki claims that some things have changed in pdfTeX 1.30, and MikTeX
site claims that MikTeX 2.5 uses 1.30.6, so theoretically it should
work, but who knows.

Also:
"The availability of MiKTeX 2.5 ends some time in the not so distant
future: as of a fixed date it will not be possible to install packages
from the remote package repository."

> If I right, metapost is using the same mechanism as lilypond.

Metapost/metafun uses some workarounds (i.e.: metapost works even when
write18 is disabled). There are multiple ways to check if write18 is
disabled (some functionality to check that has only beed added
recently to pdfTeX, so it's quite possible that you have an old
pdfTeX, or, it's quite possible that MikTeX behaves slightly
differently - http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/gnuplottex/
has some \ifmiktex switches in the source code, although I'm not sure
if they make any sense apart from checking if one should use "touch"
or "echo" to write into file).

So I would suggest you to try two things:
- try to follow the instructions to enable write18:
    http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Windows_Installation#write18
    http://wiki.contextgarden.net/write18
- try to do what the file says: change all occurencies of \ifeof18 to
\iftrue (or \iffalse - depending on whether write18 is enabled or
not), since it might be that your pdfTeX doesn't support the current
syntax, or it might be that something else weird is happening.

I have no MikTeX here at the moment, so I cannot try, but on a
completely unrelated subject: I remember that while I was stil trying
to enable that module on windows (at the time when it came to
existance), lilypond didn't run properly unless called with full path
(i.e.: one had to call C:\programs\lilypond\bin\lilypond.exe, since
calling only "lilypond" didn't work). Lilypond developers said that
they didn't know how to fix that, but I hope that it has been resolved
in the meantime.

Mojca