On Nov 30, 2007, at 2:11 PM, Roger Mason wrote:

> is it not possible to update to the current context?  I'm running
> 3.0_p1 (on a Gentoo linux box so I'm acustomed to compiling from
> source).

Gentoo version numbers are not something that many people around here
will know. I assume that 3.0_p1 refers to gentoo's tetex ebuild. This
is ancient, tetex has been unmaintained for almost two years (and
gentoo should be ashamed that they still haven't gotten around to
making texlive the default). Of course it's possible to upgrade, but
you will run into trouble: you'll need to compile a newer version of
pdftex and install that. The gentoo tex setup is quite complex, and
finding out why it is still using some old config file etc. is a royal
pain. I tried it for a while and in the end got fed up with it and
installed texlive from the iso image (see
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeX-live)
. But if you want to give it a shot, there's a wiki page about it;
some info may be slightly updated, but most of it should work as
described:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Linux_Installation#Updating_Gentoo_Linux

Thomas