On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:04:57 -0500
"Joel C. Salomon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm trying a fairly ambitious project to teach myself practical
> ConTeXt -- typesetting a book I'm writing.  As per
> <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Project_structure>, I've created files
> for the project, environment, product, and component.  The component
> file (preface.tex) is the only one with (dummy) content right now.
>
> Side questions:
> Does a project with a single product really require the full hierarchy?
> Is there a dummy layout I can put into the environment file to test the
> set-up?

you can omit the project file, I use it myself only for documents where
I use the same layout for more than one product/Dokument.

> Now I want to set up the layout.  An example of what I'm trying to
> achieve is at <http://typophile.com/files/Layout.pdf>, currently done
> in OpenOffice.  I'm not yet asking about fonts; I just want to put the
> text in the correct places.  It doesn't seem that 6×9 (inches) is a
> built-in size, so my environment file (env_firefly.tex) needs to look
> something like:

How to use th Gentium fonts with ConTeXt have been asked not so long
ago, I could also send you a typescript file to use the DejaVo fonts
with XeTeX but I had a few problems to use them with LuaTeX in the last
time.

> \startenvironment env_firefly
> \definepapersize[sixbynine][
>       width=6in,height=9in,
>       offset=???,scale=???]
> \setuppapersize[sixbynine][sixbynine]
> \setuplayout[...
>       ...]
> \stopenvironment
>
> Do I need to define & name the paper size, or is putting it in the
> \setuplayout sufficient?
> What are the "offset" & "scale" in the paper size?

You need \definepapersize to set the width and height of your page.

I never the used the offset and scale keys for \definepapersize but the
offset key sems to change the with and height of the papersize by the
given value, positive value means reduce the size by this dimension.

Don't know what the scale key is for, I tried to use it but got no
change in the output.

\setuplayout is meant to set the margin on your page.

You forgot \setuppagenumbering[location=doublesided] in your
environment to get a doublesided document.

> I want to have 6″×9″ trim, inner margin of 48pt, outer margin 96pt,
> top margin 72pt, bottom margin 144pt for starters.  Headers and
> footers, when they exist, are allocated 12 points height and are 12pt
> away from the text. (See the linked-to example.)

\setuplayout
  [backspace=48pt,
   cutspace=96pt,
   width=fit,
   height=fit,
   %topspace=72pt,
   topspace=60pt,
   header=12pt,
   headerdistance=12pt,
   %bottomspace=144pt,
   bottomspace=132pt,
   footer=12pt,
   footerdistance=12pt]

> I have read several of the manuals, I'm just having trouble putting it
> all together.  Also, I'm not looking for a recipe but guides on
> developing the layout myself so I can understand it.

You could try to read the example layouts on the wiki.

Wolfgang