> if i know the precise specs i can build it into the utf collapser

  I can work that out for you, but we need to think about how to treat
all this consistently, in particular with respect to the questions Mojca
raised:

  · Equivalent sequences need to be treated the same way (c + combining
    caron == ccaron).
  · If we need to compose a glyph out of other glyphs, it may be
    accounted for by some OpenType feature (in particular GPOS 'mark'
    and 'mkmk').
  · If nothing else is available, the good ol' TeX way using \accent is
    still valid, but we need to preserve the original Unicode data in
    the PDF (for searching, etc.).

        Arthur