On 1 févr. 08, at 12:15, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> […]
>
> Maybe I missed the point: don't both lines produce the same output:
> ۱۲۳ ۴۵۶ ۷۸۹ ?
>

> \TeXXeTstate=1
> \definedfont["GeezaPro" at 16pt]
>
> \starttext
> ۱۲۳ ۴۵۶ ۷۸۹
>
> \beginL
> ۱۲۳ ۴۵۶ ۷۸۹
> \endL
>
> \stoptext
>

> ... or was this a confusion of multi-script e-mails?

Hi Steffen,

Indeed you are right. But the point is that when writing a text in
Persian, or rather any RL text, in principle the beginning of the file
is:

\TeXXeTstate=1
\everypar={\setbox0=\lastbox \beginR \box0 }

and therefore the output is different than the one you get. If one
omits the second or both of the above two lines, again the output is
as one intends, but the difficulty comes from the fact that (at least
in Persian) when one writes some text containing a number, the digits
and the separators, which can be the comma U+002C, the space, or the
"slash" U+002F called Solidus (?) for writing fractions, should be
typeset Left-to-Right. In particular compare the following for writing
the number 123 456 789.01:

۱۲۳ ۴۵۶ ۷۸۹,۰۱

\beginL
۱۲۳ ۴۵۶ ۷۸۹,۰۱
\endL

Indeed the first one results in something meaningless.

Best regards: OK