On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:10:14 -0800
Jesse Alama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've noticed that with the most recent ConTeXt release I'm unable to
> make indices.  This example fails:
>
>   \starttext
>   Hello, this \index{copula}is an index.
>   \completeindex
>   \stoptext

Add the following path for the moment to your document.

\unprotect

\def\doplaceregister[#1][#2]%
  {\iffirstargument
     \begingroup
     \edef\currentregister{#1}%
     \setupregister[\currentregister][#2]%
     \doifelse{\registerparameter\c!compress}\v!yes % new
        {\chardef\collapseregisterpages\plusone}
        {\chardef\collapseregisterpages\zerocount}%
% TH: disable next line
%     \raggedright
% /TH
     \startcolumns
       [\c!n=\registerparameter\c!n,
        \c!balance=\registerparameter\c!balance,
        \c!align=\registerparameter\c!align,
        tolerance=stretch]%
     \dontcomplain
     \startpacked[\v!blank]%
     \mkloadregister\currentregister\dobeforeplaceregister\doafterplaceregister
     \stoppacked
     \stopcolumns
     \endgroup
   \fi}

\protect

> The error arises both with pdftex or xetex.  I think that some recent
> change must be responsible for this, because I didn't notice any
> problems with indices, say, a couple months ago.  What might be going
> on?

The values for the second and third argument for \mkloaddregister got lost
in the last beta, the responsible person could be found in the macro above ;-)

Wolfgang