Dnia Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 10:17:33AM +0100, Taco Hoekwater napisał(a):

Thanks for the answers; still, some things are not clear for me.

> > 2. What does exactly sa mean?  Do I get it right when I think that it's
> > the factor by which the "body font size" - i.e., some constant dimen
> > parameter defined for the whole document (or environment) - is
> > multiplied?  Does the "laziness" of sa mean that the actual scaling will
> > happen _after_ the definition of the body font size, which might be e.g.
> > different for different components of a product within a project using a
> > common environment?  And what is mo?
>
> sa stands for "scaled at", mo stands for "mapped on".
>
> One of them (I think sa) is a multiple of the value you specify at
>    \setupbodyfont[..] or \switchtobodyfont[..],
> the other is (I think) in relation to the actual current font size
> (so it is different whether \tfx or \tfa is in effect).

Still don't get it.  I tried the following example, just to see what
happens (sorry, I know it looks terrible):

\definefont [TitleFont] [Serif sa b]
\definefont [TitleFontTwo] [Serif mo b]
\starttext
Hello World!\par
{\TitleFont Hello world!\par}
{\TitleFontTwo Hello world!\par}
And with viii:
{\viii
Hello World!\par
{\TitleFont Hello world!\par}
{\TitleFontTwo Hello world!\par}}
And with switchtobodyfont:
{\switchtobodyfont[8pt]
Hello World!\par
{\TitleFont Hello world!\par}
{\TitleFontTwo Hello world!\par}}
\stoptext

No difference between sa and mo using this example...

(Right after looking at the results, I \show-ed \viii and noticed that
\viii and \switchtobodyfont[8pt] do essentially the same.  What's the
use of having them both?)

> > 4. What are the relations between \definefontsynonym, \definefont and
> > \definebodyfont?
>
> things defined with \definefontsynonym can be used in the right hand
> side of assignments in arg #3 of \definebodyfont, and in the #2
> argument of \definefont.

So to be sure: I can use names defined by \definefontsynonym in place of
font filenames?

> \definefont has no real relation to font switching, it is just a
> low-level shortcut for a specific font, much like a bare \font
> command in plain TeX, except that it allows synonyms and sa/mo.

So it just _defines_ (what a surprise!) some command to be a
font-switching macro?

> \definebodyfont is used to build up font collections

Still, I have no idea about the relation between these three...

Here's what I seem to understand now:

\definebodyfont is a mystery to me;

\definefontsynonym defines #1 to mean the same as #2, where #2 may be
another "synonym" or a filename (and then you have - or may? - provide
encoding informaction in #3).  It doesn't support sa or mo, and that's
ok, because its use is just fiddling with _names_;

\definefont is similar to \definefontsynonym except that it allows
scaling and does not allow filenames (only "synonyms").

How much of that is right?

> > 5. I can understand neither the paragraph right before the
> > \definebodyfont example on page 4 of mfonts.pdf, nor the example itself.
>
> That paragraph is a bit confusing to me as well. Browsing through
> type-siz.tex may help (in tex/context/base).

I'll try that too soon...

> Best wishes,
> Taco

Thanks in advance

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.faculty.fmcs.amu.edu.pl)

Nie wiesz nawet, jak cenny jesteÅ› w Moich oczach!

                                Jezus