2008/4/8, Wolfgang Schuster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Mojca Miklavec
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>  > >  Oh? I thought uc encoding would magically enhance my type1 fonts with
>  > >  full unicode range...
>  > >  ;-)
>  > I almost forgot ... to be honest, I wanted to say: "LuaTeX does
>  > exactly that", but then I have remembered that you have explicitely
>  > asked not to mention any LuaTeX benefits to you any more (at least
>  > until next TeX Live comes out) ... :)
> This is indeed possible with LuaTeX because you could create a virtual font
>  and use any other character from another font with more characters but there
>  is no font with the complete unicode range, unicode support more signs
>  as you could use in one OpenType/TrueType font.

Please, don't take me dumber than I am. There's a smiley after my naive remark.

It's great if luaTeX can access all available glyphs of a font (and
that's really another reason to switch), and I guess it will also
continue to combine accents and base characters for undefined glyphs,
but of course it can't "invent" new glyphs.

Most good Type1 fonts contain the range of Latin-1 and Mac-Roman, and
if I'll be able to access that, it's great.

I already started to combine several freeware fonts into OpenType
(i.e. if there are e.g. Western, CE and alternate/expert fonts). But I
guess that's only one of my "few" projects that stall until they're
needed...

Regarding luaTeX: Even if I can just include rsync into my daily
update script to stay up-to-date on binaries (thanks for pointing that
out!), I get a bad feeling if I see lots of threads on this list that
show that luaTeX seems to have still some basic problems... On the
other hand when I started using ConTeXt I did it for some features
(grid setting!) even though it was a very much moving target.

Greetlings, Hraban