On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 9:57 AM, John Devereux wrote:

>  I have not run the ctxtools --update since I m not sure if is
>  appropriate for debian...

ctxtools --update does several things:
a) download cont-tmf.zip
b) extract to texmf-local
c) generate formats

a) is safe, b) and c) might put thing to weird places (different
distros have different conventions). A rather safe thing to do is to
unzip cont-tmf.zip to a location that you trust to be OK. You can
unzip it to either
    /usr/local/share/texmf/
or to .texlive (check if one exists) and then regenerate formats in
the "debian way". If you put files to /usr/local/share/texmf/, the
next, the next update (does it ever happen?) will update those files
(uninstall might possibly leave some files there if they were not
present in your previous installation). If you put context to your
local tree, you only need to make sure not to forget about it. If you
upgrade context with debian later, the tree in your home will have
precedence.

But in general there should be no problem updating some files on
debian. If you don't trust ctxtools, just do it manually.

You can also run rsync from minimals.contextgarden.net to update
context files instead of downloading and extracting the zip from
pragma.

Mojca