> Indeed, I've already seen that: when setting the locale to fr_FR.utf8,
> without resetting it to C just after the tex.print(), then I get this
> error:
> !luaTeX error (file
> /opt/TeX-live/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf):
> Parsing CFF DICT failed. (error=-1)
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

  Interesting :-)  I suppose some of the strings are localized (like,
decimal points being replaced by decimal commas).  I already had that
when writing a small script to output PDF by hand.

  To be precise, on Mac OS 10.5 I need “fr_FR.UTF-8” to reproduce this
behaviour, not “fr_FR.utf8” which looks a bit suspicious.  I have
already heard that the French version of some mainstream Linux
distribution (Ubuntu, I think) set locales to the absurd value
“français”, which was a problem not only because it was absolutely not
standard, but also because the system couldn't guess what encoding the
‘ç’ was in!

        Arthur