Am 2008-06-14 um 19:36 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:
> bundle that does just what you like is lilypond. A wonderful
> typesetting application, all in one installer, not complex to install.
> It has been broken on intel mac for half a year now. Nobody has the
> knowledge or the time or the energy to fix it. Result? No lilypond for
> intel mac users.

By the way LilyPond works again, since a month or so. But just
lilypond, not midi2ly etc.
And you can use the PPC version on Intel, too.
You could even try to install it from source without the Mac.app stuff
(perhaps even via fink) - don't know if you'll run into difficult
library problems, though, didn't try.

That doesn't invalidate your point, though.

If you install ConTeXt as a nice Mac.app, you'd need an integrated
package/plugin manager and someone who provides updates and additions
as suitable packages. Similar to Eclipse, perhaps, and even if that
works mostly, there stay problems where you need to poke around in the
file tree.

Of course, since ConTeXt is much more monolithic (or "batteries
included") than LaTeX (or Eclipse), you don't need a lot of packages,
you could even include all known third-party modules and automate
daily updates. And you could limit the font support to included LM
plus system fonts.
So it could be done. For OSX, that is. Maybe even multiplatform, if
you use something like Python with wxPython and setuptools.

But I think it's not worth the effort - who could do it, doesn't need
it. As was said, you'd have to pay some developers for that - for a
really small audience.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---