Hi all,

Following the discussion with Gerben over the past week, I have
initialized a project for the creation of a new Context Reference
Manual.

The goal is to create a complete manual documenting all of context's
user-level commands with the focus on creating a reference manual,
but not so much on providing a learner's manual.

Anybody who is willing and able to help out in any way is very much
invited to join in. The manual is to be distributed under the GNU Free
Document License so that it can borrow text from the wiki, and also so
that it can be included in free TeX distributions (like TeX Live).

I have merged and checked in tex sources of a few base manuals just
to get started. The sources are part of the contextman project at
supelec: http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextman . There are
no released files yet (that would be premature), but you can browse
the repository via the SCM tab at supelec's project page.
Alternatively, if you have a subversion client, check out the source
tree to a local folder.

There is also a mailing list, see
   http://lists.foundry.supelec.fr/mailman/listinfo/contextman-reference
for details

The current source tree in the repository is basically the english
version of the 'Context Manual' plus

   * Fonts                 (mfonts.tex)
   * Columns sets          (columns.tex)
   * Processing modes      (mmodes.tex)
   * Texmfstart            (mtexmfstart.tex)
   * Hyphenation patterns  (mpattern.tex)

but minus the images and using a simplified layout design.

The project needs volunteers for just about everything:
   * merging existing manuals and wiki pages
   * copy-editing
   * writers for new chapters
   * proofreaders
   * it could also do with a nicer design

so if you want to help out in any way, please subscribe to the mailing
list via the link above (I don't want to overburden ntg-context with
messages on this subject).

Best wishes,
Taco