On Aug 12, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> A postscript to greek issues:

Thanks for the report.

> As I wrote, everything works fine now---with Mark II, which is what I
> still use.
>
> When I try "context mygreekfile.tex", without any font specification,
> the following characters are missing:
> lower case: c (end of word sigma), m (mu), and s (sigma)
> upper case: same
>
> If I specify font=Ibycus, it works fine
> If I specify font=Teubner, I get no greek, just roman characters (but
> the same tex file works when compiled with "texexec")
> If I specify font=GreekGentium, I get no output (Invalid glyph index
> (git 1714) ==> Fatal error etc. Again, this works with "texexec".
>
> I'm using recent minimals (Contextgarden) on Mac OS X Leopard and
> ubuntu.
>
> If it's got something to do with my not knowing how to deal with fonts
> in Mark IV (which is the case), just ignore this message. But if the
> reasons are deeper, it might be of interest to you.

No, that's a combination of my lack of enthusiasm for writing new
documentation and your not reading the documentation which is provided
(greekmodule.pdf, p. 3) :-) In a nutshell: when mkiv was new, I
experimented around with support for Babel-like transliteration in
mkiv, but it turned out to be very cumbersome and time-consuming
because it has to be implemented for every font, one by one. I'm
unlikely to go to this length because this ASCII input was just a
stopgap when TeX was unable to digest 16-bit input. I've done it for a
few fonts (such as GreekGentiumAlt), for my private amusement, but it
just isn't worth the effort. The novelty of luatex lies just here: it
processes utf8 by default, that's why I recommend using utf8 when
writing Greek in mkiv; it works well in mkii, and there's no reason
not to use it. The only thing that may be troublesome is when you have
lots of old files. I have a converter written in python here which
works reasonably well. Hans implemented one in lua (see $TEXMF/scripts/
context/lua/mtx-babel.lua) which is even better, but doesn't appear to
work with the current version of mkiv. But I have to look at the
default font, this one should work even with Babel.

Thomas