I would like to have a list of references sorted alphabetically by
author surnames.

My environment file has \setupbibtex[sort=author] and
\setuppublications[sorttype=bbl]

As I understand it, the \setupbibtex instruction is supposed to
influence the .aux file. Specifically, the .aux file is supposed to
include this line: \bibstyle{cont-au}. Then, bibtex will read the aux
file and produce a .bbl file that is sorted alphabetically. Then
ConTeXt's bib module will read the .bbl file and follow the sorting
it finds in that file.

However, after each ConTeXt run this line in the .aux file is set as
\bibstyle{cont-no}. This happens in both Mk IV and Mk II, ConTeXt
ver: 2008.08.05 18:47

I can change the relevant line in the aux file by hand, from \bibstyle
{cont-no} to \bibstyle{cont-au}. This gives me the desired result
when the file was processed by ConTeXt. The reference list is sorted
alphabetically.

In fact, subsequent ConTeXt runs using Mk IV (but not Mk II) produce
an alphabetically sorted reference list, despite the changed line in
the .aux file, provided bibtex is not run in the meantime. (Mk II
runs it automatically but Mk IV doesn't ... I think)

But this is not a fully stable situation. Suppose the bib file
changes. Then I would run bibtex again. And then the alphabetical
sorting is undone. Or, it was when I tested it.

I don't know if this is a bug, a misunderstanding on my part, or a
feature to be added later. If my memory is correct, this is not the
way that Mk II used to behave. But in any event, It would be great to
know of a more automatic way of handling this if one is available.

Thank you!

Michael