Jelle Huisman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have text with a small intro section in a double column environment.
>> The main text is set on a grid and the intro text is slightly off-grid
>> with a \vskip -2pt before and a \vskip 2pt after the intro. As this
>> sample shows this works fine, until the intro text is broken over two
>> columns. In that case the last part of the intro starts on grid (in the
>> second column) and the main text is moved off-grid and does not longer
>> register with the main text in the first column :( [see example code].
>> Is there is way to detect and prevent this (automatically)? Can ConTeXt
>> remember that it is setting some text \vskip-ped, while it is breaking
>> the current paragraph over columns? (Basically I want to keep all the
>> B's on the grid and all the A's \vskipped.)
>
> Should I conclude that this is not possible?

ok, you suffered enough ... so, this is for your eyes only because
otherwise i get complaints about a non documented feature:
\synchronizegrid (we needed it once in a project; it worked ok there but
was never tested being that which is why it's still on cont-new)

\definecolumnset[doublecolumn][n=2]
\setupcolumnset[doublecolumn][2][distance=5mm]
\setupbodyfont[12pt]
\setupinterlinespace[line=11pt]
\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\showgrid
\starttext
\startcolumnset[doublecolumn]
\ss \subject{Header}
\dorecurse {2} {
     \vskip -2pt
     This text is vskipped. A \dorecurse{40}{ aa aa}
     \vskip 2pt % intro text
     \synchronizegrid
     This text should stay on the grid. B \dorecurse{270}{ bb bb}} % main
     text should stay on grid
\stopcolumnset
\stoptext

the thing with grids is that one can make things work for most cases but
normally doc are always more tricky

in mkiv i will add some more advanced grid support (i did some
experiments last year .. no time now to finish that)