> The context in Miktex is still broken. Has anyone got experience
> installing the standalone version of context on windows alongside
> Miktex?

As I have quite some legacy LaTeX-files I have Miktex 2.7, standalone
Context, and a Context minimals installation on my system. They co-exist
nicely on my system: Rather than pointing my path environment variable
to any of those installations permanently I use batch-files to
initialize whatever system I'd like to work with.

These are the batch files I use; your paths will vary:
- for running Miktex:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
REM setupmiktex.bat
@echo off
set PATH=C:\Programme\MiKTeX\2.7\miktex\bin;%PATH%
"C:\Programme\PSPad editor\PSPad.exe"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- for running the ConTeXt maximals (aka ConTeXt standalone):
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
REM cstart.bat
@echo off
usr\local\context\cscite.bat usr\local\context
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- for running the minimals:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
REM setupminimals.bat
@ECHO OFF
E:\programme\contextminimal\context\tex\setuptex.bat
E:\programme\contextminimal\context\tex

you'll also have to add a line at the bottom of setuptex.bat, under :done
call c:\ruby\scite\scite.exe
or whatever editor you use.

> And one specific question, will the mptopdf command work in this dual
> installation?

I think so; at least running "mptopdf -v" from a console window invoked
from the editor made mptopdf tell me there was no file called '-v' to
process ;-)

Cheers, Peter