I have the minimals installed in ~/Applications/context/

Context works great. However, I'm having trouble with bibtex.

[1] I export the following variables before using context.

. ~/Applications/context/tex/setuptex ~/Applications/context/tex
export TEXMFHOME='$HOME/Library/texmf'
export TEXMF='{$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFPROJECT,!!$TEXMFFONTS,!!
$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFCONTEXT,!!$TEXMFEXTRA,!!$TEXMFMAIN}';

(I added export PATH=/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-intel/
bin:$PATH but that didn't seem to make a difference in a couple of
quick trials)

[2] The problem is that the minimal's bibtex can't find the bib file
that I have stored in ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib/

It reports: "I couldn't open database file bib-name.bib" and "I found
no database files---while reading file file-name.aux"

[3] "which bibtex" yields the path to the bibtex installed with the
minimals:

/path-to-my-user-account/Applications/context/tex/texmf-osx-intel/bin/
bibtex

[4] When I open a new shell session, "which bibtex" points to /usr/
texbin/bibtex. In this new shell, bibtex finds the bib file.

It's a small thing, but if there's some other setting to make bibtex
work in the same shell session that context does, that would be nice.

Thanks!

Michael