Hi Willi,

Yes I did install mkiv through the ConTeXt Minimals (thanks to Luigi
Scarso) and I invoke that installation in TeXShop: everything works
fine.
However I have not added any environment variables as you have done in
your .bashrc. saying
        env | grep TEX
in a Terminal window returns for me:
        __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
which has nothing to do with any TeX related variable.
I think in order to use mkiv with the minimals you have to "unset" all
the environment variables you have in your .bashrc.

Right now I have to run to take an exam with my students… as soon as I
have time I'll send you the whole procedure.

Best regards: OK