Dnia Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 04:37:23PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater napisał(a):

> Hi,
>
> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> >
> >> My question to the mailing list: is this task structured? Is this being
> >> managed by anyone?
> >
> > Unfortunately, not.
>
> Aditya's reply sums it up pretty well. I just want to add a quick note.
>
> After at least half a dozen reiterations of this discussion (and it
> is indeed always exactly the same discussion), I have now reached the
> point where I no longer feel the slightest need to take any action any
> more. From where I stand, it seems that the unhappy people just want
> to complain about, but are not willing to help improve the existing
> documentation, and that the happy people just want to post pointers
> but fail to see a real need to improve anything.

I'm (relatively) new here (I've been subscribed to the list for a few
years, but only recently started to use ConTeXt more seriously), but I'd
like to take the risk and add my point of view.

I miss a good documentation *a lot*.  OTOH, if I were to choose among
the uber-community and uber-manual, I'd prefer the first one (maybe
that's why people prefer the status quo;)).

I would love to help improve the existing docs, though.  Having
uber-manuals *and* uber-community would smash this poor LaTeX-thing out
of the market;P.

The question is: what do I do?  I post something to the wiki from time
to time, but I don't want to engage myself too much - I'm currently
involved in at least one *big* project (which is, btw, connected with
writing some LaTeX document classes); together with my work (doing and
teaching mathematics) this takes *a lot* of time...  What's more, I
can't really help writing manuals for something I don't completely
understand...

> I myself would be much more willing to spend time on (managing|writing)
> the manual if there were any people showing an active interest in it.

Assume that I finally learn how to use that SVN thing and that I try (in
some indefinite time, though) post my remarks on the existing docs, my
examples of files so that they could be either introduced into the
manuals or deemed non-ConTeXt-esque enough;) or my suggestions of
rewriting something: would this help?

And a general remark: of course, my point is not to wipe out LaTeX.  It
has its place.  But popularizing ConTeXt would be great (and I'm doing
it all the time among my friends!).  And good manuals are a *must*
then...  Obviously, writing a good manual takes really much time (and
from some point of view is harder than actually writing code, I guess -
it's very similar in maths, when it's way easier to jot down some notes
for yourself than to prepare some proof for actual publication...)  As I
said before (in another post), it's completely obvious for me that
neither Hans nor you, Taco, have time for writing a good
documentation...

> Best wishes,
> Taco

Best,