Tobias Burnus wrote:

> I agree about the KPSE shortcomings, however, just for finding
> "texmf.cnf" KPSE should be good enough. (OK, finding "texmfcnf.lua" does
> not seem to work well as the "lua" extension means that "web2c" is not
> searched.)

but using kpse would mean initializing it and that means loading the
file database which can be pretty large for a non minimal tex tree so
that's a no-go

> I think the algorithm used to find the texmf.cnf file is different and
> thus a different file is found. Your algorithm never checks
> "$HOME/texmf/web2c" where a user could have put his file. For pdftex
> $HOME/texmf/web2c has a higher precedence than /usr/share/texmf/web2c. I
> assume that the same thing is true for "luatex". In any case the luatex
> binary contains the following string:

what files are looked for depends also on env settings; but anyhow, at
some point mkiv/luatex might drop the cnf file

> /etc/texmf:/etc/texmf/web2c:/var/lib/texmf/web2c:{~/texmf,!!/etc/texmf,!!/var/lib/texmf,!!/usr/lib/texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf}/web2c

hm, where is that set? hard coded in the binary?

but concerning the cnf file, luatex/mkiv does not use that many paths
(less fonts for instance)

> Using KPSE the same string seems to be used to check for the config
> file. But "luatools" uses a completely different method. As long as the
> user does not have its own texmf.cnf there is no problem. (Should be the
> case most of the time.) However, as soon as (s)he has, luatex and
> "luatools" access different files!

well, if something is hard coded in the binary then i'm not going to
bother about it too much; if something is determined by env vars, we can
see what makes sense to support; also, an installer that does things
differently from the standard tex live setup can also take care of
setting a few variables

> That is done differently: luatools.lua remains like that, but
> "/usr/bin/luatools" is a symbolic link to "luatools.lua".

ok