Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 15:08:48 -0600, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

you can comment this in cont-new.mkiv
 % \def\pagedir{\expandafter\gobblethreearguments}
% \def\bodydir{\expandafter\gobblethreearguments}
i'm trying to figure out what dirs make sense (even when all are enabled the alignment is no 100% ok; for instance, why should bodydir influence textdir and pardir (i.e. when i would expect the content to be rl independent of page/bodydir (we need some higher level interface and not these low level *dir commands)

Indeed. We may also need Taco's help; he's about the only one I know who precisely understands the distinction between \pardir and \bodydir. I did some extensive testing on this nearly two years ago and could hardly make sense of it. The user should never have to touch \pardir or \bodydir and we need a higher level command. Not sure if the same will work at the macro level.

I'll search for Taco's old detailed explanations of these two and forward them to you and Khalid.

there has been changes (consistency cleasups) to the engine so you might want to run some tests again; first we need to be absolutely sure of the engine backend does things right (i.e. as we expect)