Dnia Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:21:30AM +0800, Yue Wang napisał(a):
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Yue Wang wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> you can find that on http://modules.contextgarden.net/
> >>
> >> but anyway, you won't know how easy it is to place figure/text
> >> wherever you want in Keynote.
> >> In ConTeXt, you cannot achieve that.
> >
> > Sure you can. Use a background layer, and then you can place the text
> > whereever you want. Not as easy as in Keynote or powerpoint, but it can be
> > done.
>

> achieve the "easiness" I mean.
> positioning/adjusting graphics/text using a mouse is much easier than
> do that with keyboard,
> and one should compile/adjust xs and ys many times in order to get the
> right result.

Well, using the keyboard and not the mouse is IMHO one of the TeX (and
LateX, and ConTeXt, and METAPOST, and METAFUN, and tikz) advantages: I
may have repeatable (and uniform throughout the document) results
without having to put a (physical) ruler onto my monitor;)...

My experience shows that the best way to prepare a complicated document,
and especially one containing complicated mathematics/graphics/tables,
is to:
1. think about it
2. sketch it on a piece of paper
3. think a bit more
4. write down the important coordinates etc.
5. type into the computer what I have done in part 4.

This way you don't really have to adjust it too many times (maybe twice
or thrice).

> not to say how to create beautiful 2d/3d charts and tables,
> make simple drawings,

metafun or tikz

> get fancy templates,
> apply some advanced features to graphics/texts (like mirror, or
> believable shade)
> Well, I know in theory everything above is doable using TeX,
> but extra amount of work should be done, and the ConTeXt approach
> (using metafun?) quite unproductive.

As I said: the bulk of the work when preparing a good document is
*thinking* (and writing the *text*).  Even two or three hours of typing
don't really make a difference, especially if you get nicer results than
when using mouse (each picture etc. in slightly different position
and/or size...)

> So unless someone develop a good GUI frontend for TeX,
> using TeX for unstructured documents (like presentation slides) is
> always not a good idea.

This might be debatable, but I would risk a following statement: if you
consider your presentation slides "unstructured", maybe it's time to
devote more thinking to it...

But a GUI would be nice in fact, especially for tikz.  I agree that
in some cases it would be faster to use it than to type everything.

Regards

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

- Why vim users don't use the ESC key?
- It's too far on the keyboard.  It's faster to type ctrl-[.