On Sat, 18 Jul 2009, Ciro Soto wrote:

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Aditya Mahajan<adit...@umich.edu> wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Ciro Soto wrote:

Hi All,

I want each chapter to start on an odd number page, and  the preceding
page to be totally empty (no header,
no footer).

Before the \chapter command, I tried:

\page[odd,blank] ... didn't work. I get the header and footer
\page[odd,empty] ... didn't work. I get an extra page (empty)
\page[odd,makeup] ... didn't work. I get the same as in the first case

what is the combination I need to use?

See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles#Truly_empty_pagebreak_before_chapters

it didn't work. I get the same "blank" page with header and footer.

Please reply to the list so that others might also help...

The following example works for me:

\definepagebreak
  [mychapterpagebreak]
  [yes,header,footer,right]

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [page=mychapterpagebreak]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,location={header,margin}]
\setupheadertexts[{My special headertext}]
\setupfootertexts[This is a text in the footer]

\starttext
  \chapter{testA} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
  \chapter{testB} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
  \chapter{testC} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
\stoptext

I'll insert a blank page with pdftk.

You should never have to resort to that.

Aditya