On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, Guilherme P. de Freitas wrote:

It just occurred to me that a style was not a necessary thing, but an
optional parameter, and that without it, the style would end up being
"plain". That was the case, and therefore my problem is essentially
solved. Thanks everybody, especially Thomas.

Question: how do I get white text on black background? I tried
adapting some commands from the Wiki, and that didn't work. Searching
for the word "background" in the 'simple slides' documentation led me
to information that was unrelated to what I wanted.

Normally, you can just say
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=black]

But simpleslides resets the page background on each page so you need to play nice with simpleslides

\usemodule[simpleslides]

\setupcolors[textcolor=white]

\startuseMPgraphic{simpleslides:MP:horizontal}
  StartPage ;
  fill Page withcolor black ;
  StopPage ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\defineoverlay
  [simpleslides:background:horizontal]
  [\useMPgraphic{simpleslides:MP:horizontal}]

\defineoverlay
  [simpleslides:background:vertical]
  [\useMPgraphic{simpleslides:MP:horizontal}]

\defineoverlay
  [simpleslides:background:title]
  [\useMPgraphic{simpleslides:MP:horizontal}]

% Now for the rest of the presentation

\setupTitle
  [title={Presentation Title},
   author={F.~Author, S.~Another},
   date={Date / Occasion}]

\starttext

\placeTitle

\SlideTitle{A quote}

\input tufte

\stoptext

For the sake of everybody out there wanting to use ConTeXt for their presentations, it would be very nice to have a link for a complete template, with title, author, a list and a picture in the Wiki. I slightly modified the simplest example in 'simple slides' (taking away the style, and including a list and a figure). It is available here:

http://archive.gpfreitas.net/coursework/grad/caltech/year3/ss280/presentation1/pres-simple_slides.zip

Also see the detailed examples that come with simpleslides:

http://dl.contextgarden.net/modules/t-simpleslides/doc/context/third/simpleslides/solutions/

Specifically, check the style-template file if you want to create your own template (i.e., want a style that is not part of the module)

Aditya