Bruce,

very briefly: I'm very very short on time this week, so won't be able to look into this until middle of next week, but I just wanted to let you know that I find your idea great. I had been thinking of adding an xml template for simple presentations. your html-based stuff looks gorgeous, so I would like to know more about it. And let us know what exactly it is that you're missing in simple-slides. In theory, titles are typeset in layers, so everything should be there.

All best

Thomas