Michael Green wrote:

On Oct 29, 2009, at 11:56 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:56:05 +0100
From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.li...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] pdfs with boxes instead of letters

The PDFs look OK here with both Preview and Skim. I would try to
delete the font cache on your computer and restart it.

That seems to have solved it. I see letters again! My quality of life just went up measurably. Thank you very much!

For the record, I used the simple method Wolfgang pointed to: restarting in "Safe Mode" then restarting again in normal mode.

It's extremely easy with no software or mucking around in unusual directories.

Specifically, I followed these instructions:

http://www.ascendercorp.com/support/

I seem to have spoken too soon. The very next document I prepared had the same boxes-rather-than-letters problem.

That said, I cleared the font caches again and, after restarting, the document looked correct. Perhaps this is a coincidence. Or perhaps there is something amiss with the way my computers are caching fonts. Sigh.