ber...@pobox.com wrote:
"Taco" == Taco Hoekwater <t...@elvenkind.com> writes:

    Taco> You could pre-assign a zero-padded number to each book
    Taco> (Genesis=001, Exodus=002), and use that number inside the
    Taco> square brackets.

Right, but that would be extremely annoying to type in all the time
:-)

I'm looking for a more automated solution, but given that even you
don't know one, it seems I have to write some sorting mechanism
myself.

Or perhaps use the trick above as the input is XML, and the verses are
clearly marked, so I could generate ConTeXt with the proper sort
codes.

Who does the index sorting, is that texexec?

in mkii yes, and in mkiv it's done in lua

if you go for xml, an duse mkiv, then you can write your own sorting code as you can access the tree