On 16-1-2010 22:58, Andreas Schneider wrote:
Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

This can't work because TeX collects mote material than it needs for the
current page and the same happens with the footnotes, the only thing you
can do is to use two pass data

Wolfgang

Is there not even some event in Lua that could be used to handle this case?
I think MkIV compatibility is all I need.
In case this is also not possible: can you give me a hint where to learn
more about twopass processing? Is there in MkIV still something that
requires two (or more) passes that I could take a look at to learn how to do
it? (I guess I can understand Lua easier than plain TeX, so I guess MkII is
out of the picture.)

It depends on your document. We have workflows where we can do with one pass in which case we run with --once (--runs=2 or so)

Future versions of context mkiv might need one run less (in some cases) or one perceived run (which saves startup cycles) but as Wolgangs explained already, in more complex cases we cannot do with less runs as any change haping now can influence something a few pages back which in turn might influence what follows.

Normally, when you correct only typos there will be no multiple runs.

MkIV already is more efficient as we now always assume an advanced pdf backend so that we don't need to use the MkII the object reference mechanism.