On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:35 AM, James Fisher <jameshfis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - In my humble opinion, TeXies need to get out of the habit of
> 'self-documenting' TeX using TeX itself.  TeX is not some replacement for
> all markup, it's for producing beautiful books (OK, and some presentations);
I think that "self-documenting" in TeX is 20year olds now --- it
started with Latex209 ,I believe.

> So, thoughts?
Yes from http://sphinx.pocoo.org/
"Sphinx is a tool that makes it easy to create intelligent and
beautiful documentation"
but I believe that ConTeXt is better

"    * Output formats: HTML (including Windows HTML Help) and LaTeX,
for printable PDF versions"
Are you suggesting to use LaTeX to document ConTeXt source ?

About model of development: one developer is not so strange afterall .

In other situations maybe this is not adequate, in this situation
actually it's the best choice
(where for my experience "actually" goes
from   10year ago until now).

For example mkii is frozen while mkiv is at 50%, if we consider that
luatex 0.50 is at 50%, and luatex 1.0 will be 100%:
btw mkiv is really usable, not in some fuzzy alpha state (frozen is
not a bad word : tex is frozen from ~1990, pdftex is "cold", ie
changes a little, luatex is "hot")

This model doesn't imply that you cannot contribute to the code base
but only that all contributions need to be  validate (and possible
rejected) and integrate by developer,.
You can also contribute with third part modules, but they are not in
base code and in case of conflicts code base wins.

There is no need for a public dcvs : for mkiv there is always one beta
version, the last one.
Errors will be fixed in next beta. This imply that you must be
prepared to patch your macros/stylesheets
to match with last version
Patrick thinks
that a public git is a good idea and me too, but
one can always manage his personal dcvs --- which is a good idea to
understand code evolution on a particularly subject
(I believe the Arthur has an historical archive )

For comparison, luatex  project is developed in "traditional" manner:
svn, bug tracker,  manual (in context mkii ): the code base is in C
with target CWEB .

You can think at luatex as low-level layer which development  is
driven by mkiv, a very high level layer,
which development is influenced by luatex itself (a sort of negative
feedback see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory)

As I said
the language and its  semantic are particularly , almost unique.
Nothing strange that there is an  ad hoc model of development

--
luigi