Further tracked the error down to calling:
        \setuppublications[numbering=short]
while \setuppublications[nrefcommand=data] does not give the error.

Hans van der Meer

On 22 mrt 2010, at 13:53, Hans van der Meer wrote:

Sorry it took a few hours before responding, but first things first (luckily old setup of mkii turned to be working still).

Pinpointed the origin of the error message to this call:
   \the\everysetuppublications
I will search a bit further, but perhaps Taco has already enough clues from this experiment.
Something with processcomma?
By the way, could it be related to some other error I get in mkiv in processing a description? There in the log similarly something with parameterlists seems at hand:
! Use of \@@startdescription doesn't match its definition.
\doifnextoptionalelse ...\nextoptionalcommandyes {
#1}\def \nextoptionalcomma...
\setuptextrules ...odoubleargument \getparameters
                                                  [\??tl ]

Back to bib: From inserted code from bibl-tra.mkiv:

\writestatus{HVDM-TESTING =============>}{\string \setuppublicationlist[numbering=short,refcommand=data]}
\unprotect
\def\dosetuppublications[#1]%
  {\getparameters[\??pb][\c!alternative=,#1]%
\writestatus{HVDM-TESTING =============>}{after \string \getparameters <1>}%
   \doifsomething\@@pbalternative
     {\readsysfile{bibl-\@@pbalternative.tex}
        {\showmessage\m!publications{6}{bibl-\@@pbalternative}}
        {\showmessage\m!publications{1}{bibl-\@@pbalternative}}%
      \let\@@pbalternative\empty}%
   \getparameters[\??pb][#1]% as bibl-* can have set things back
\writestatus{HVDM-TESTING =============>}{after \string \getparameters <2>}%
   \the\everysetuppublications
\writestatus{HVDM-TESTING =============>}{after \string\the\string \everysetuppublications}%
   \ignorespaces}
\protect
\usepublications        [literature]
\setuppublications      [alternative=apa]
\setuppublications [numbering=short,refcommand=data] % separate -- see doc p2

And in the log:

HVDM-TESTING =============>: after \getparameters<1>
publications    : loading formatting style from bibl-apa
(/Users/hans/Documents/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/ context/bib/bibl-apa.tex
HVDM-TESTING =============>: after \getparameters<1>
HVDM-TESTING =============>: after \getparameters<2>
HVDM-TESTING =============>: after \the\everysetuppublications
)
HVDM-TESTING =============>: after \getparameters<2>
HVDM-TESTING =============>: after \the\everysetuppublications
HVDM-TESTING =============>: after \getparameters<1>
HVDM-TESTING =============>: after \getparameters<2>
! Parameters must be numbered consecutively.
<to be read again>
                   ##
<argument> \def \@@pbinumbercommand ####
1{\bibgetvars \currentpublicationkey }
\p!compareprocessaction ...commalistelement {#3}#2
\expandafter \quitcommalis...
\next1 #1,->\p!doprocessaction {#1}
                                   \doprocesscommaitem
<argument> ...bibgetvars \currentpublicationkey },
\v!bib =>\def \@@pbinumbe...
\processnextcommalist ...dodoprocesscommaitem #4#5
,]\relax \global \advance ...
l.32 ...ications        [numbering=short,refcommand=data]