Hi Peter,

I had noticed such strange page breaks before and since it was always in small
documents (maths problem sheets), I used an elementary workaround which
consists in adding a \medskip or \smallskip before every \section. Actually
analogous bad page breaks happen in Plain TeX with \beginsection.
Regarding the minimal example you sent, adding
\setuphead[section][before=\smallskip]
to the top of your document, solves the problem appearing in the first section.
I don't know whether this solves all other strange page breaks or not.

Best regards: OK

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Otared Kavian
Département de Mathématiques