> All along I have been assuming that Context was like LaTeX:  a
> system for end-users, a language where an author could easily
> manipulate the appearance of his document.  Apparently, it's more like
> a supporting infrastructure for that.  Maybe it needs a layer of
> macros sitting on top of it to make it accessible and friendly to
> users/writers.  I'm hoping Idris's book will shed light on this.
It's the opposite, but I think we all understand the difficulties
that a Latex user has in changing his point of view (for me it's the
same when I jump in LaTeX)
We cannot do anything more than write same examples that encourage you
in find your solution
(that perhaps you want to share with us or in the wiki then).
The hard part is to find a "context-way" (I personally tend to write
more TeX-plain than context), so looking into the source
is always the best choice.

Anyway I want to say that most of us are sometimes in someway annoyed
by your strong sentences
and this  doesn't help so much in finding a solution.

--
luigi