>> Now onto step two: how can I typeset each glyph in the formula individually
>> such that it appears precisely in the right location?
>
> I must be misreading something here, but I cannot figure out what
> 'the right location' means.

Since textext() always returns a single picture that can't be decomposed into
smaller building blocks

Hans suggested to textext() each desired snippet individually. So I tried

---
\setupbodyfont[10pt]

\starttext

\startMPinclusions
    pickup pencircle scaled 0.05pt;
    defaultpen := savepen;

    picture crosshair;
    crosshair := image(draw fullcircle scaled 2pt;
                       draw (0,-2pt)--(0,2pt);
                       draw (-2pt,0)--(2pt,0);
                      );

    bboxmargin := 0;
\stopMPinclusions

\startMPpage
    for item within rawtextext("$(h,g)$"):
        draw bbox item withcolor 0.8white;
        draw item;
    endfor;

    draw crosshair;
\stopMPpage

\startMPpage
    draw bbox rawtextext("$($") withcolor 0.8white;
    draw rawtextext("$($");

    draw bbox rawtextext("$h$") withcolor 0.8white;
    draw rawtextext("$h$");

    draw bbox rawtextext("$,$") withcolor 0.8white;
    draw rawtextext("$,$");

    draw bbox rawtextext("$g$") withcolor 0.8white;
    draw rawtextext("$g$");

    draw bbox rawtextext("$)$") withcolor 0.8white;
    draw rawtextext("$)$");

    draw crosshair;
\stopMPpage

\stoptext
---

Clearly, this gives me each glyph individually but stacked on top of each
other. What I need though is that the second figure looks exactly like the
first one (with all glyphs in the right location) except that the grey bounding
boxes appear per glyph.

Thanks for your help,
Oliver