On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Xan <dxpubl...@telefonica.net> wrote:

> Thanks George of confirming the bug.

> In my opinion, the context package has to be ready for running. No
> intervention of user should be needed. For the other hand, I have problems
> running luatools, so we have a bug: or the first or the second.

Many packages require some user configuration before they can be used.
Some hide this and do the configuration in the background the first time
they are run, which assumes that the configuration is very robust (as you
can see, luatools may not yet qualify as a robust tool).   I do think the
requirement to run luatools should be made more visible to users, e.g.,
by having the context wrapper script make some checks before attempting
to run mtxrun, or by changing mtxrun itself (the advantage of making
changes in the wrapper is that they can be more distro specific and point
to /usr/share/doc/context/README.MarkIV).

As for the 2nd part of the problem, we don't have enough information to
know why "luatools --generate" isn't working for you.   I'm not sure exactly
what you have tried to get it working, but it would be helpful if you can do
the following:

1.  document the current status:

    run (as normal user) "luatools --variables", then use the value of
    TEXMFCACHE for:

    "ls -lR <TEXMFCACHE>"  (e.g., paste in the value shown for
     TEXMFCACHE)

2.  check that the luatex caches have suitable permissions, or just
delete them and try to recreate using a normal user login.

--
George N. White III <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia