Hi,
We have rather few suggestions and they are not coming anymore. So I am
summarizing what we have so far. Since my typesetting vocabulary is meager I
choose to present it graphically. Then again my apologies for poor graphics as
I did not attempt it in metapost.
Below is the collection of the posts and attached is a pdf of a drawing
generated in inkscape. I can send the original svg if needed.
Best regards,
Salil______________________________________________________________
Salil:Being able to flow multiple texts in parallel. A simple case is a
translation of the same text running on opposite page while the original runs
on left/right page. In my thesis these are not translations, but correlated
texts written for different audiences. (think of levels in a CG game) So the
texts need to be designed differently.
To extrapolate this facility, if columns on one page can run such parallel
texts then we can have multiple translations running together.
Khaled:Old Arabic book, essentially all early Bulaq Press books used to
typesettwo books in one, one is the main book running on the body of the
page,while the other is a loosely related book running in the margins of
thepage, the second book can be a commentary on the main book, but oftenthey
just discuss the same subject with no direct correlation (not acritical
edition). I'd like to be able to reproduce such layout.
Taco:I would like to do something slightly more general: it would be nice
ifcolumnset blocks could take their input from streams, even if the blockis not
a full column (or multiple columns).
Philipp:three items I'd like to add:  * horizontal split page layout (upper and
lower parts instead of    columns),  * asymmetric stream combinations (e.g. two
streams on the left page,    another stream on the facing page), and  * easy
reprinting (i.e. a photographic reproduction as one stream on    the left and a
text stream on the right page).I've seen all of this in printed books so it
would be a pity to live ina world where the best typesetting system can't do
that. Some of this Ialready mentioned to Hans a while ago, maybe he remembers.
Kevin:I second the request to support horizontally split page layouts with one
stream typeset above another on each page.
Hans:it would help to see mockups for such requests
Salil:I think this is good example of this function.
http://books.google.com/books?id=qdltz8N9qSEC&lpg=PP1&dq=the%20body%20multiple&pg=PA4#v=onepage&q&f=false
Philipp:I got a less complex example from the library, in contrast to
Salil'sexample this one is a translation:
http://bayimg.com/oaoPpaaChhttp://bayimg.com/PAOpAAaChhttp://bayimg.com/pAopbaAchhttp://bayimg.com/pAOpDAaCHhttp://bayimg.com/PaoPeAAch
Shows clearly that the streams are synced at every section (and thattranslation
to English is a good compression for German…).