On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Michael Goerz
<go...@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> [...]
>   \startfrontmatter
>   \setuppagenumbering[state=stop] % nothing for now, should be roman page
>                                   % numbers later
>   \component book/frontmatter
>   % ToC ...
>   \stopfrontmatter
>
>   \startbodymatter
>   \setuppagenumber[number=1]
>   \setupheadertexts
>       [{Name of Chapter}]           [{}]
>       [{}]                          [{Name of Book}]
>   \setuppagenumbering[
>   alternative=doublesided,   % mirrored even/odd pages
>   location={header,margin},
>   style=small]
>   \component vol04_1/articles/azimov
>   \stopbodymatter
> This leads to my first question: I generally try to keep all formatting
> definitions in env.tex. However, it seems to me that since I want to have
> different settings in the frontmatter compared to the mainmatter, I need to
> put
> the \setuppagenumbering and \setupheadertexts in book.tex, which slightly
> bothers me. The way I intuitively feel it should work is that I would define
> various headertexts and pagenumberings under some label in env.tex, and then
> activate the different configurations in book.tex via that label. Is there
> anything in ConTeXt that I may have overlooked that makes something like that
> (centrally defining several alternative header/footer/pagenumber
> configurations) possible?
>
> Next, the problem of having a different header/footer/pagenumber on pages
> where
> a new chapter starts. In env.tex, I have
>
>   \setuphead[chapter][
>       page=mychapterpagebreak,
>       number=no,
>       alternative=c,
>       align={center, nothyphenated, verytolerant},
>       style={\switchtobodyfont[16pt]},
>       header=high,
>       footer=none,
>   ]
>
> This causes the chapter pages to have no header/footer/pagenumber at all,
> which
> is halfway what I want. But actually, I don't really understands why that
> works
> either. My understanding is that "header=high" means there should be no header
> on the first page and the normal header on all subsequent pages. The way I've
> set it up though, the page number is not really part of the header (it's
> separately set up through \setuppagenumbering). So why does the page number
> disappear as well? And, of course, the main question: How do I get the page
> number centered in the bottom of that page? Again, I feel if there was some
> way
> to define different configurations for the header/footer/pagenumbers under
> different labels, e.g. a label 'chapterfooter', it would then make sense to do
> something like 'footer=chapterfooter', instead of 'footer=none'. But I guess
> that's not the way it works -- so how *does* it work?
Digging deeper in the reference manual, it seems that
    \definetext[chapter][footer][pagenumber]
together with
    \setuphead[chapter][
        page=mychapterpagebreak,
        number=no,
        alternative=c,
        align={center, nothyphenated, verytolerant},
        style={\switchtobodyfont[16pt]},
        header=high,
        footer=chapter,
    ]
is the answer.

Do I understand it correctly that
    \definetext[chapter][footer]...
is exactly the same as
    \setupfootertext...
but with the extra label "chapter"? So that would be exactly what my
intuition said should exist.

Can I only use the "chapter" label inside of \setuphead, like in the
above example, or could I also somehow use \definetext to setup
different headers/footers for the frontmatter/mainmatter, for example?

Thanks,
Michael