Dear all,

I was about to adapt the type-optical module to include Semibold and Condensed
when I noticed that optical scaling is not working as expected. To be more
precise only downscaling works. Let me give you a short example of what I did:

\usemodule[type-optical]
\usetypescript[minion]
\setupbodyfont[minion,12pt]
\starttext
\title{Title}
\section{Section}
Text
\tfxx tfxx
\tfx tfx
\tfa tfa
\tfb tfb
\tfc tfc
\tfd tfd
\stoptext

This document is composed of various font sizes: \tfxx to \tfd scale to 7.2,
9.6, 14.4, 17.28, 20.736, and 24.888pt. According to the definitions in
type-optical \tfxx should be set in MinionPro-Capt, \tfx and \tf in
MinionPro-Regular, \tfa and \tfb in Subhead and the rest is Display size.
Looking at the resulting PDF file with pdffonts indicates that
MinionPro-Regular and MinionPro-Capt are the only fonts used. Not so Subhead or
Display sizes.

Changing the bodyfont to [minion,14pt] results in MinionPro-Subh and
MinionPro-Regular to be included.

I was curious and tried the same thing with Latin Modern:

\setupbodyfont[8pt]
\starttext
\title{Title}
\section{Section}
Text
\tfa tfa
\tfb tfa
\tfc tfa
\tfd tfa
\stoptext

Same problem: Only LMRoman8-Regular is used.

By including the lines

\tfxx tfxx
\tfx tfx

LMRoman5-Regular and LMRoman6-Regular are included in the PDF. Again not the
larger sizes.

I'm quite puzzled about this strange behaviour and would apreciate any help.

Best
Florian

PS.: I'm running Tex Live 2010 (MacTex) with a recent update from
rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/.