Hello Hans,

just to remind the other issues. The code from xml-mkiv.pdf doesn't work as expected. Only in \TestMode=2 the index is rendered as supposed.

demo.tex + demo.xml below

Jano

%%%%%%%%%%
% demo.tex
\newcount\TestMode
\TestMode=0 % expansion=xml
%\TestMode=1 % expansion=yes, index, setup
%\TestMode=2 % expansion=yes

\startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
  \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{demo|index|content|chapter|title|em}{xml:*}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}

% main document
\startxmlsetups xml:demo
  \xmlflush{#1}
  \subject{contents}
  \placelist[chapter][criterium=all]
  \subject{index}
  \placeregister[index][criterium=all]
  \page % else buffer is forgotten when placing header
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:chapter
  \ifcase \TestMode
    % xml code travels around
    \setuphead[chapter][expansion=xml]
    \startchapter[title=eh: \xmltext{#1}{title}]
  \or
    % index is used for access via setup
    \setuphead[chapter][expansion=yes,xmlsetup=xml:title:flush]
    \startchapter[title=\xmlgetindex{#1}]
  \or
    % tex call to xml using index is used
    \setuphead[chapter][expansion=yes]
    \startchapter[title=hm: \xmlreference{#1}{xml:title:flush}]
  \fi
  \xmlfirst{#1}{content}
  \stopchapter
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:title:flush
  \xmltext{#1}{title}
\stopxmlsetups

% We need to deal with emphasis and the content of the chapter.
\startxmlsetups xml:em
  \begingroup\em\xmlflush{#1}\endgroup
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:content
  \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

%A similar approach is followed with the index entries. Watch how we use the numbered entries variant (in this case we could also have used just entries and keys.
\startxmlsetups xml:index
  \ifcase \TestMode
    \setupregister[index][expansion=xml,xmlsetup=]
    \setstructurepageregister
      [entries:1=\xmlfirst{#1}{content},
      keys:1=\xmltext{#1}{key}]
  \or
    \setupregister[index][expansion=yes,xmlsetup=xml:index:flush]
    \setstructurepageregister
      [entries:1=\xmlgetindex{#1},
      keys:1=\xmltext{#1}{key}]
  \or
    \setupregister[index][expansion=yes,xmlsetup=]
    \setstructurepageregister
      [entries:1=\xmlreference{#1}{xml:index:flush},
      keys:1=\xmltext{#1}{key}]
  \fi
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:index:flush