\startOT
        Wow! "experimental metapost version two"
        (does this mean that we get to play with precision?)
\stopOT

\startQUESTION
        The following minimal example yields an error:

\starttext
\startMPcode
        input circle ;
\stopMPcode
\stoptext

        where circle.mp contains a btex...etex sequence:

draw fullcircle scaled 1cm ;
label (btex 1 cm etex , (0,0)) ;

        The "input circle ;" will work if I comment-out or remove label ;
        The minimal example will work, of course, if the mp code is
        in my tex file.

        The error message is:

mplib           : loading 'metafun.mp' (experimental metapost version two)
! mp terminal: (circle.mp
>> circle.mp
>> circle.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.2 label (btex
                1 cm etex , (0,0));

.

system          > error on line 4 in file mp.tex: mp terminal: (circle.mp
>> circle.mp
>> circle.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.2 label (btex
                1 cm etex , (0,0));

1     \starttext
2     \startMPcode
3       input circle ;
4 >>  \stopMPcode
5     \stoptext

<inserted text> ...re.mp ; fi ; ;;;;]===], false)}

\processMPgraphic ...e ;\!!es , \MPaskedfigure )}}
                                                  \egroup \placeMPgraphic
\d...
l.4 \stopMPcode

\stopQUESTION