On Wednesday 06 October 2010 03:33 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 04:07, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:

If I wanted to fix my broken TeXLive, should I just re-install ConTeXt from
the TeXLive 2010 DVD or should I do a full re-install of the full scheme?

You have two options:
a) finish what you started
b) reinstall

In case of reinstall, it should be enough if you reinstall context and
luatex, I guess that can be done with:
     tlmgr install --reinstall context luatex

You will have some leftovers (extra files), but that should in general
not be a problem. (You can try to delete (= first move to some other
place) texmf-dist/tex/context before reinstalling if tmlgr won't
complain too much about missing files that cannot be removed.)

Before I saw your reply I did the following:

1. mv /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/context /tmp

2. Installed the ConteXt scheme from the TeXLive 2010 DVD along with the following further customizations, just in case they had been altered:

Extra Fonts
Recommended Fonts
TeX and Outline Fonts
Extra Formats
LuaTeX packages

3. tlmgr update --self --all

4. luatools --generate
   context --make

The context from TeXLive 2010 works fine but texexec fails with this message:

---
ConTeXt  ver: 2010.07.30 11:35 MKII  fmt: 2010.10.5  int: english/english

system          : cont-new loaded
(/localhost/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex

FatalError      : Your format does not match the base files!
--

If something goes very bad, you can of course always reinstall
everything, but if the above works, there's no reason to worry.

It looks like that :-(

If you want to finish what you have just started, you need to also
sync mtxrun and fetch texmfcnf.lua from minimals and fix it according
to TL structure. (That's slightly more non-trivial.) I almost forgot
about that file when I said that one should also update mtxrun.

Wanting to have both context minimals and TeXLive 2010--modified only by tlmgr--coexisting, I tried to install the minimals in a directory called

~/local-context

using the following commands:

rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/context/current/ \
 ~/local-context/

rsync -av --include 'mtxrun' --include 'luatools' \
  rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/bin/context/linux-64/bin/ \
        ~/local-context/bin/

I then set the following environment variables:

PATH=~/local-context/bin:$PATH; export PATH
OSFONTDIR=/usr/local/share/fonts:/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/fonts:$HOME/.fonts; export OSFONTDIR

Finally, I ran

luatools --generate
context --make
context --make cont-en
mtxrun --script fonts --reload

But I got errors about some files not being resolved and context was broken. So, I unset the environment variables, and just to be doubly sure, repeated steps 1 to 4 above, to get a working context (but not texexec) from TeXLive 2010.

If there is a complete error-free algorithm/script in future for making TeXLive 2010 and the context-minmals coexist independently I will appreciate knowing about it.

Meanwhile, it looks like I need to reinstall TeXLive 2010 afresh.

Thanks to everyone for all the explanations and help.

Chandra