On 17-10-2010 1:20, Herbert Voss wrote:
If I understand the documentations correct, then
the first command should set _all_ titles to
slanted except the subsection. When I run
this example the titles are always upright.

\setupheads[textstyle=slanted]
\setuphead[part][placehead=yes,color=blue]
\setuphead[subsection][numberstyle=bold,textstyle=cap]

\starttext
\part{Teilebene}
\chapter{Kapitelebene}
\section{Abschnittsebene 1}
\subsection{Abschnittsebene 2}
\subsubsection{Abschnittsebene 3}
\stoptext

running TeXLive2010 with mkiv

Heads indeed inherit from parents with the root being \setupheads, but with a few exeptions. The definition deep down is:

\unexpanded\def\definestructuresection[#1]%
 {....
  \getparameters[\??nh#1]
    [  \c!textstyle=\structureheadparameterstrict\c!style,
       \c!textcolor=\structureheadparameterstrict\c!color,
     \c!numberstyle=\structureheadparameterstrict\c!style,
     \c!numbercolor=\structureheadparameterstrict\c!color]%
  ....}

So, the explicit style and color variables have a more resticted inheritance, that does not backtrack.

The reasons for this are a bit fuzzy and lays in the fact that we also have style and color keys and if we would inherit this would mean that one should nil the explicit text and number ones quite often.

So, text* and number* are bound to the current section level which means that you can set up all (cloned) sections, subsections etc at once but the setting does not bleed to other levels unless of course that is somehow configured.

In practice, I often use style and color for setting both and then textstyle and numberstyle if there is an exception. This permits things like:

style={\switchtobodyfont[10pt]},textstyle=bold,numberstyle=slanted

In such cases the spacing is style driven which makes sense (I hope).