in my example I have set the numbers in the margin.
In fact of using the twoside layout I get the
numbers only for odd pages in the margin.
Is this also possible for the even pages,
just like "header 1.2" instead of "1.2 header"?

Herbert

\definepapersize[DE][width=10cm,height=12cm]
\setuppapersize [DE][DE]
\setuplayout[width=8cm,height=10cm]
\setuparranging[doublesided]
\setupheads[alternative=margin,align=outer]

\starttext
\chapter{Foo}
\section{A long title} \input knuth
\section{A long title}
\section{A long title} \input knuth
\chapter{Bar}
\section{A long title} \input knuth \section{A long title} \input knuth
\section{A long title} \input knuth \section{A long title} \input knuth