\def\appentry#1#2{%
        \startline[line:\getnumber[entrycounter]]%
        \pagereference[page:\getnumber[entrycounter]]%
        #1%
        \stopline[line:\getnumber[entrycounter]]%
        \footnote{{\bf \at[page:\getnumber[entrycounter]]}%
        \inline[line:\getnumber[entrycounter]] #1] #2}%
        \incrementnumber[entrycounter]%
}

By now I tried to adapt a LaTeX-only-solution which Uwe Lueck suggested on the texhax-mailinglist some years ago (cf. http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/2006-July/006599.html) but failed quite miserably. I also tried the same with plain TeX registers (\newcount\entrycounter \entrycounter=0 etc.) instead of ConTeXt counters. Could it be easier to stuff the \pagereference and \startline-commands into before= and after= of setupfootnotes?
Could anyone please give me a hint on this?

The purpose of this: I'm trying to use mkIV's page and linenumbering facilities for a critical apparatus (in this case endnotes with page and line references). As I didn't succeed with Hans Hagen's recent suggestion (cf. http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg49695.html) I tried this quick and dirty way. Although it's far away from being perfect (in an ideal world the endnotes should be grouped into one paragraph per page and of course there would be more then one apparatus and so on) this seems to be a first approach to me…

Cheers,
Daniel