On 9-1-2011 12:45, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
Hans,

Since we have some leverage with backward compatibility in MkIV, can we
make \setuppapersize (slightly) more intuitive.

Normally, one would expect

\setuppapersize[A5]

to be equivalent to

\setuppapersize[A5][A5]

but currently it is equivalent to

\setuppapersize[A5][A4]

This is a bit confusing, and means that we always have to specify the
printpaper size; even if it is equal to paper size. Can we modify the
definition of \dodefinepapersize to change this behavior?

\def\dodefinepapersize[#1][#2][#3]%
{\ifsecondargument
\doifsomething{#1} % to be sure
{\doifassignmentelse{#2}
{\getparameters
[\??pp#1] % geen \c!scale, scheelt hash ruimte
[\c!width=\@@ppwidth,\c!height=\@@ppheight,\c!offset=\@@ppoffset,#2]%
%AM: Added these two lines
\setvalue{\??pp:1:#1}{#1}%
\setvalue{\??pp:2:#1}{#1}}%
{\setvalue{\??pp:1:#1}{#2}%
\setvalue{\??pp:2:#1}{#3}}}% (*) see below
\else
\getparameters[\??pp][#1]%
\setuppapersize % hm. this will freeze !
\fi}

Perhaps, in line (*), we should also check if #3 is something, otherwise
set ??p:2:#1 to #2:

\doifsomethingelse{#3}
{\setvalue\??pp:2:#1}{#3}}
{\setvalue\??pp:2:#1}{#2}}

What do you think?

more elegant and downward compatible is this:

\definepapersize
  [samesized]
  [ \c!width=\paperwidth,
   \c!height=\paperheight]