Am Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:35:10 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> As a new LuaTeX user, I came across the following problem: Using
>> Lua(La)TeX, customized kerning of letter pairs (via the
>> FeatureFile capability of fontspec) is ignored when it coincides
>> with a possible hyphenation of a word (e.g. between 'f' and 'h'
>> in German words like 'aufhalten'; see first minimal example
>> below).

>> 1. Lua(La)TeX

> I cannot test that (I only have the context minimals installed) but I
> don't know anything about latex internals so it would be a wild guess.
> Maybe babel is interfering?

No, the problem exists also if you only load the german patterns.

> In base mode kerning and and hyphenation
> happen in the traditional tex way, so there is not much extra trickery
> taking place.

Well, as you mention "base mode": This reminded me that I had to
force base mode to get my reencoding to work in latex. So I tried in
context + latex/luaotfload (with german hyphenation patterns):

\font\test="name:TeX Gyre
Bonum:mode=base:featurefile=bonum.fea;+kern"

and

\font\test="name:TeX Gyre
Bonum:mode=node:featurefile=bonum.fea;+kern"

And bingo: with mode=base it works in both formats, with mode=node
the kern disappears. Without mode declaration the kern disappears in
latex.

So I think it isn't true that the manual of luaotfload claims "By
default mode=base is used".

--
Ulrike Fischer