On 25-2-2011 5:16, Eythan Weg wrote:

Wolfgang Schuster<schuster.wolfg...@googlemail.com>
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:20:01 +0100

    Am 24.02.2011 um 17:56 schrieb Eythan Weg:

    >  Hi,
    >
    >  I have just installed beta.
    >
    >  The line:
    >
    >  \starttext
    >    \halign{&\hfil#\hfil\quad\cr This&  That\cr1&2\cr}
    >  \stoptext
    >
    >  is not typeset and the&  are left in place.  What could be the problem?

    Since a while ^, _ and&  can be used in text mode like any other character.

    You can disable this with \donknuthmode at the begin of your document or
    use the \aligntab where you would normally use&  but the best thing is
    to use one of contexts build in table environment.

    Wolfgang

Thank you.  I think that \halign, being a primitive of tex, should be
respected.  If a user wants to use it, it should be usable
unconditionally.

in context a more abstract coding is advertised; if you want to use halign in for instance a macro definition, you can surround it by

\unprotect

macro def

\protect

anyhow, when using halign directly in your document, don't expect too much from spacing